Saturday, May 29, 2010

StarCraft 2

I finally played my first game of the StarCraft 2 beta. It's one of the few modern video games I care anything about, having so loved the original and not having yet seen a Blizzard game that was not fantastic.

StarCraft 2 is fantastic all over again. It's much like the original, except optimized. They've managed to create a greater diversity of tactical possibilities with fewer, more interesting units, fewer upgrades, and some new terrain tricks and control options. Very nice game design.

I managed to win my first game, 1 Protoss vs. 1 Protoss, but not by some great skill on my behalf. The opponent (a random internet stranger) had me beat completely early on, but failed to follow through. By creating a trap or two, and creating a few new towns he didn't know about, I was able to get back into competition without his knowledge and surprise him with a formidable force just as he ran out of resources.

It's a dang fun game.

No comments:

Post a Comment