Saturday, September 26, 2009

I Like Movies

It occurred to me yesterday, after watching three DVDs in a row, that I really like movies. (They were The Last StarFighter, Knowing, and Iron Will. I recommend them all., three stars each.) I have around 200 movies and seasons of TV shows in my house. I have seen them all with three exceptions:
  1. I haven't seen all of 8 Seconds because I hate it.
  2. I haven't seen all of Grease (at least not in one sitting) because I hate it.
  3. I haven't seen Footloose because I fear it's going to remind me of Grease.
That means I own and have seen around 30½ days worth of VHS tapes and DVDs - most of them many times. And that's only the ones I own.

Pretty much the only genre of movies I don't like are ones set up as filmed stage plays. Grease, Hair, Rent, modern takes on Shakespeare, etc. That whole genre irks me. Second most hated is the genre of stupid comedies, like Shallow Hal or Scary Movie, especially if they're stupidly oversexed.

My favorite genres are historical dramas (John Adams, Pride & Prejudice, Fat Man & Little Boy, etc) followed by hard science fiction (The Man From Earth), followed by popcorn sci fi (Star Wars, Star Trek, Serenity).

I'm generally opposed to rampant sex, violence, or language, so I generally steer clear of movies rated R or worse. I will make occasional exceptions, most obviously for The Matrix. Which ruled. There are no sequels. None. Ever.

I love animation in both it's Disney-ish and Anime forms. Animation is capable of greater emotional power and persuasive influence than live action, especially in showing beauty and mystery. Pixar is the best production company ever, largely because they understand and wield that power.

In general, I love movies.

2 comments:

  1. Movies are great. I also love them, though maybe not with the vehemence that you feel towards them. And I must say, Pride and Predjudice is AWESOME (Im referring to the A&E special 6 hr version, the new one is just great, not quite AWESOME). And I, too, think that Pixar is the best production company ever. I mean, have you seen the way they made water in Nemo?! Incredible! Yes... movies are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've heard they had to reduce the realism of the water in Nemo to convince viewers that it wasn't just filmed water with CG added.

    I don't think I've seen the 6-hour miniseries P&P. I haven't seen the miniseries version of Dune, either. I mostly opt for the movie when there's an option. 6 hours is an awfully long time.

    ReplyDelete