Sunday, October 11, 2009

To Fast

A great many religions believe that going without food for a time encourages spirituality. The reasoning is common enough to be referenced by the pop philosophy movie The Matrix; food alters one's perceptions. The Oracle uses food to manipulate Neo, Cypher eats steak before betraying Morpheus, and in food "in the real world" is hardly food at all - suggesting a clearer understanding of truth. The Bible depicts stories of people fasting to rid themselves of pride, to aid repentance, and to protect from divine judgment.

My own religion has a charitable tradition of fasting -- once a month, we are invited to skip two consecutive meals (all food and drink, even water, with concessions made for personal health) and donate the money saved to the hungry and needy. This is considered both a charitable donation and an exercise in empathy - it is easier to give to the hungry when you personally and sharply know what they are suffering.

Perhaps it is also more difficult to waste what you receive when you know it is food formerly destined for another's stomach.

But today I have another reason for fasting, a personal reason. My extended family is facing tough economic times. Their problems require more and greater solutions than I can provide. I fast to remind myself of my limits, and to ask God for the things I cannot provide them. I have too much pride, and too much need of repentance. A perfect judgment would not be kind to me. But it is for my family that I worry. It is for them I petition for grace.

Maybe if I better myself morally I will find more grace granted to them. Maybe if I do more good they will face less fear. But even if not, at least I'll have done more good and become better.

I am not good with rite and ritual, or with obedience for it's own sake. But I believe fasting will help, so I'll try. My thoughts are with my family.

1 comment: